It is no longer enough for a business owner just to have a website and leave it at that. Online search has evolved as we continue to become more digital. If you want people to find your business when they search for your product or service, how will they find you? “Build it and they will come” is only true in the movies.
There is a way: blog.
What is a blog?
Here are some terms about blogging:
Blog — (weB LOG)
A blog is basically a journal that is available on the web. The activity of updating a blog is “blogging” and someone who keeps a blog is a “blogger.” Blogs are typically updated daily using software that allows people with little or no technical background to update and maintain the blog. Postings on a blog are almost always arranged in chronological order with the most recent additions featured most prominently.
Blogosphere or Blogsphere
The current state of all information available on blogs and/or the sub-culture of those who create and use blogs.
Blogging has evolved
Blogging is no longer just personal stories of rants and raves about people’s day to day. Many businesses are now leveraging blogging to tell their story using their product and services.
Why blogging important to your company?
8 Reasons why your business must blog
- Blogging gives you the ability to provide fresh & dynamic content what your static website pages cannot make because of the nature of content. Google loves new content and posting a blog regularly is one way to get crawled by the Google bots. There are pages on your website that are always the same and typically would only need minor tweaking now and then. As an example that will be your “Company Info”, “About Page,” and “Products and Services.” You can give the bots a reason to keep coming back to your site by blogging. You could say that you are “feeding” it with your NEW content (which is what it is looking for). The more your site is getting crawled by the bots, the higher the chance for your blog to appear in search results.
- Blogs can generate more customers! As you consistently and regularly blog industry-related topics, your site will continue to get indexed. Getting indexed by search engines means that they found you. If the search engine can find you, then chances are people looking for your product or services will also find you! AccordingtoHubspot (see below): 57% of marketers acquired customers from blogging. Is that notenoughreason why a blog is important to your business?
- Blogging is one way for you to build your professional credibility and share your expertise. It’s a platform where you can share your knowledge without being sales-y. It’s a way for you to help others by providing them with relevant and helpful information. You become the go-to person. You build up your authority in your niche this way. Please note that this takes time. It is like trying to grow an elm tree. It will not shoot up to 30 feet overnight. If done with persistence and consistency, the impact is cumulative. Next time you doubt the effectiveness of blogging to your overall bottom line, look out the window and check out a tree. :D. A side note: what’s an example of a blog that’s helpful and not the “buy-me-type”? If you are a Realtor, you may write a blog about, “5 Red Flags When Buying a Second Home,’ not about,“Why We are the Best Realtor You’d Find Evahhh.”
- Blogging can drive traffic to your website. You distribute your blog using social media platforms; then use the social media platforms to direct people back to your website. A blog and your social media marketing program ought to have a symbiotic and holistic relationship. If that is not happening, then something is not right in what you are doing, and it may be time to call for a (new) social media marketer. There are analytics tools that you can use to track links that you use for a blog post. The analytics can show you whether someone clicked the link (or not, OUCH), from what channel, and what country.
- Your blog should be one of the main content that you share in your social media channels. It is best practice in social media to share your content not just other’s content; your blog should be one or these content that you are sharing.
- Blogging introduces your business to a wider audience. Blog transcends geographical barriers. It is also available 24/7 across time zones. You may be living in a remote part of the world but still able to communicate with prospects about your product and services.
- Related to #7, a blog will have the potential to introduce you to a new audience. Other than appearing in search results, if your blog content is useful, other people who like it will share it with THEIR friends, or THEIR audience. Who doesn’t like their content getting shared? That ‘ll open up new opportunities for you.
- Blogging saves your business money! Blogging can be less expensive compared to other forms of marketing. Doesn’t this convince you that you should must blog?
Here I reiterate the above question: why is a blog important to your business?
What’s holding you back from publishing a story after story about your products and services? If you don’t have the bandwidth and don’t know how to start a blog, we CAN help you. Email: ruby[at]socialsuccessmarketing.com to chat!